THE Red Arrows have received the green light to display in Dorset this summer – but will be appearing as a seven formation rather than their usual nine.
Following rigorous training throughout the winter, final authority for the world-renowned scarlet jets to display throughout the summer was received earlier this week.
The Hawks will appear at Swanage Regatta and Car-nival on July 29 followed by appearances at the Bourne-mouth Air Festival on August 30 and 31 and Sept-ember 1.
Following the deaths of Flt Lt Jon Egging after a display at Bournemouth air show last summer and Flt Lt Sean Cunningham in November, as well as the departure of its first female pilot, the team has been learning to fly as a seven.
Group Captain Dave Bentley who is in overall command of the Red Arrows said: “2011 was an extremely challenging year for the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, both air and ground crew alike.
“The award of Public Display Authority is recognition of the entire team’s hard work and commitment.
“The 2012 display is an energetic mix of formation and precision flying, and I know how much the Red Arrows are looking forward to the forthcoming season and enhancing their reputation as one of the world’s premier aerobatic display teams.”
The news was welcomed by Terry Trevett, chairman of the Bournemouth Red Arrows Association.
He said: “After the tragic events of last season, every effort has been made to ensure that the public do not miss out.
The Reds will continue to perform albeit with seven. We all look forward to seeing them.”
The Arrows returned to Bournemouth on Saturday for the first time since the death of pilot Jon Egging last August.
Crowds turned out to welcome the team who had stopped off at Bournemouth Airport to refuel before taking part in the flypast for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Muster and Parade at Windsor Castle.